Culture in the ESL Classroom
Adult education ESL teachers struggle with teaching US culture as well as integrating students’ native cultures into the classroom. In this in-service, we will discuss cultural issues and their impact on the classroom, managing the multi-cultural classroom, and taking advantage of the rich cultural diversity that makes up our classrooms. Participants will network with other teachers regarding culture in the classroom, and we’ll brainstorm a list of cultural No-nos (behaviors or gestures that one culture or another will find offensive.
What you will learn:
- Examine some definitions of culture and the relationship of culture and language;
- Discuss the issues associated with cultural adjustment, and our role as teachers with respect to that adjustment;
- Define emics and etics and identify each in common scenarios;
- Examine the effects of culture on learning styles and classroom expectations;
- Evaluate several instructional strategies for effectiveness in teaching culture.
- PD Hours: 4
Adult Education and Literacy